Friday, December 17, 2010

Creativity

There is nothing quite like the feeling of being creative!!!  One of the reasons that I make, do, and create stems from a long-standing family Tradition.

My father's family decided about 10+ years ago that instead of drawing names and buying gifts we would MAKE our gifts.  This has been an amazing journey for what is already an amazing family.  One of my counsins put it perfectly when she said that it is really incredible to see what each individual comes up with.   Not to toot our own horns, but we are a pretty "crafty" bunch.  We have seen many different handmade gifts given and received through the years, there have been group favorites, repeat items and planned exchanges to get a favorite handmade item made by that one individual.  The gifts range from bird houses, blankets, pillows, clocks, shelves, shoe racks, oil paintings, pencil drawings, decorative tiles, cookies, tables, chalkboards, clipboards, baseball bats, wall hangings, quilt racks, candles, aprons, duct tape wallets and potatoe canons to name just a few.

This year I have my Uncle Lee and I will not reveal the gift that I have made for him, but I will say that this wonderful tradition makes each of us require the need to know our family members even better to get the creative edge in order that our gift will be something they will treasure forever.

Thank you to Nancy for suggesting this idea so many many years ago!  You are a gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment