Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Su's Necklace

Su handed me a little plastic baggie filled with old mismatched earrings, broken necklaces among other odds and ends that she had from her mother's and possible her grandmother's estates.  Mixed in with all of this was the most lovely gold plated women's belt buckle.  We both agreed that it was one of the neatest pieces in the bag and that little buckle and I had a long relationship.

I had that on my work bench for months.  I would sit and look at it...even attempt to create something to fit inside the buckle out of clay, but nothing clicked.  It was at that time that I discovered an old scarf that was a part of MY grandmother's estate and the connection was immediate.  I used a small portion of the scarf, backed it with muslin and quilting material and secured it to the middle of the buckle.  I knew that the focal part of the necklace was ornate enough that the chain couldn't out do the buckle.  I used a simple piece of leather with two small gold filigree beads to complete the look.  It was a hit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment